Monday 16 December 2019

Dear Recovery


Dear Recovery

Dear recovery,
You scare me more than you’ll ever know. 
You are close to me, 
within my touch, 
within my reach
Yet you’ve also never felt so far away
Recovery,
you stare me in the face desiring me to look into your eyes 
and for me to fall in love with you
But when you’ve learnt how to live hating yourself and destroying yourself 
doing the opposite seems impossible, unreachable. 
And though it’s hard to say, undesirable.
I have fallen in love with ruining myself 
and so falling in love again, 
this time with you is just not possible.
Dear recovery, 
you choose people,  
Sometimes you choose those that seem the furthest away from you 
and you try and entice them near 
like offering candy to a small child. 
You’ll do anything to get them 
but I’m onto you recovery. 
I know what you’re doing.
You try and convince me to love myself and I can’t do that so I can’t be with you. 
You try and make me want to live 
and when I’ve spent so long wanting to die 
how do I do that?
Dear Recovery,
You scare me because I’m scarred permanently with the marks of this mental illness, 
even if I’m with you there will be reminders that I’ve been where I am now. 
I can’t deal with the way you target those around me to inspire me. 
Sometimes I’m jealous 
Other times I’m just done with you wrecking my head 
by being with them and not with me. 
I’ll never be like them, I’ll never hold on to you as tight as they manage to.
Even when I want you recovery 
I have decided you are too good to be true 
and I sure as hell don’t deserve you. 
Dear recovery,
I’m here reaching for you on some days 
And turning you away on the next 
You want to embrace me
But I’m not so sure you’re right for me?
I live with the voice in my head so against me
How you can be so for me? 
Dear Recovery, 
Oh boy do you scare me
When I’m battling with those who care for me?
They want me to hold your hand 
Run with you into the sunset 
And never look back
But recovery
Some days I’ll hold your hand and run with you 
Other days I’ll let go and escape from your reach
Some days I despise you
Other days I desire you
You confuse me recovery
My mind is unsure what to make of you
But I’ll tell you this recovery
You make me want to shout at you
In anger, in rage because I don’t understand you
And in love and hope because you’re the only unchanging thing I could possibly cling to.
Dear recovery,
Why do you feel so unreachable 
Why do you scare me 
When all you want is me to reach out to you
I don’t know who I am with you, 
But in all honesty I don’t know who I am without you either.
There is hatred, 
there is anger,
 there is the a self destruction button 
that I’ve pressed far too many times.
Dear recovery, 
Everyone expects me to be best friends with you 
to want you more than I want anything else
But what happens if sometimes, just sometimes,
I want the thing that I’m used to.
The mess in my mind is what I’m used to
And sometimes my comfort zone is all I want to know 
But, recovery, it’s about time I leant on you, 
 learnt from you 
and spent time with you 
So please help me recovery, 
even when I’m unsure, 
help me to choose you. 
each day I need to make a choice 
and despite our dodgy History 
And what the voice in my head might say
I want that choice to be you recovery 

No comments:

Post a Comment